SHAKING blog

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Sad News For Meddling Kids Everywhere...


Dear Yogi, Fred, Tom, Jerry, Shaggy, Scooby, Elroy, Vanity Smurf, et. al,

It is with a heavy heart that I write this note to express my sympathy for the death of your father, Joseph Barbera, one half of the ingenious creative animation team, Hanna-Barbera. Joseph Barbera was a true inspiration to me, a man who filled on average 8.4 hours of each day when I was a kid, back in the days before parents understood that that much TV watching turned the contents of a child's head into rubber cement. He made me laugh, he made me snort, he made me shoot Froot Loops from my nose in moments of uncontrollable mirth.

Joseph Barbera was my babysitter by proxy. My substitute for books. My reason for spending my entire childhood indoors. He left an indelible mark on my psyche. He left me illiterate until I was 17. Needless to say, he will be missed tremendously. And every time I yell "Yabba Dabba Doo!" "Exit, stage left!" or go on a bender and come home to stuff my face with Scooby snacks, I will be reminded of his legacy.

There is one question, however, that has nagged at me all these years, and I fear now might be the only time I can get it answered. So forgive the timing and any hard feelings this is likely to dredge up, but, "Hanna-Barbera," why? Why, when B so clearly comes before H, does Hanna get top billing? Was there some sort of feud that went on between these prolific partners? I know the pat response is probably going to be that Hanna-Barbera is a more syllabically pleasing rhythm. Ha-nna-Bar-ber-a sounds better than Bar-ber-a-Ha-nna, but still? Wasn't he even the least bit miffed that the rules of alphabet supremacy didn't apply? Was that really the true animus behind many of their more sadistic creations (and let's be real, much of that stuff was mean shit. Tom was, after all, brought into the house to ruthless execute the mouse, Jerry.)

William Hanna openly confessed, "I was never a good artist," and it was apparently widely acknowledged that Barbera was the duo's gag writer, too. So what did Hanna bring to the table that entitled him to firstsies? Again, I apologize if this brings up hard feelings, but I've always been a "meddling kid"... and I think we all know, we have your father to thank for that.

With greatest sympathy,
Robin Epstein

P.S. You are going to write, "Exit, stage left!" on his tombstone, right?
P.P.S. Sure sucks for Chris Hayward, another brilliant TV writer who created The Munsters and wrote for Rocky and Bullwinkle, who also just died. I mean he really gets second billing having the great misfortune of croaking the same week as Joeseph Barbera, no? But maybe this means there's some justice for Barbera in death after all!

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hanna had cash and some office space. True story. Scooby and The flinstones were cool & all, but my favorites were the lower profile Schmoo, Speed Buggy and the ever loveable Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels. Rest in peace Mr. B.

December 19, 2006 4:47 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Right, Schmoo and Captain Caveman! Not sure how I forgot to mention those, but definitely favorites of mine, too.

December 20, 2006 9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! ;)
hey... what crazy comments!
what do U think about it?

February 03, 2007 12:12 PM  
Anonymous Buy penis enlargement pills said...

Yes it is really a very sad news for the kids.

August 20, 2011 7:19 PM  
Anonymous VigRX effective penis enlargement supplement said...

I am really not sure how I forgot to mention those, but surely favorites of mine.......

September 08, 2011 12:53 PM  
Anonymous African Mango weight loss supplement said...

It was just awesome to read the entire blog. This is interesting and refreshing.

December 05, 2011 9:55 PM  
Anonymous HghEnergizer anti aging treatment review said...

Froot Loops from my nose in moments of uncontrollable mirth.

December 16, 2011 11:50 PM  
Anonymous Natural penis augmentation pills said...

Joseph Barbera, one half of the ingenious creative animation team, Hanna-Barbera.

December 19, 2011 2:58 PM  
Anonymous Compare the best hair loss pills said...

demand a trade two weeks into the season. refuse to show up for practice until team owners relent.

January 29, 2012 7:58 AM  
Anonymous African Mango weight loss supplement said...

I am upset now !

January 31, 2012 8:06 AM  
Anonymous Top Rated Vacuum Cleaners said...

Its really nice of you for writing and sharring this stuff with us. I hope that you will continue your good work here.

February 10, 2012 8:56 AM  
Anonymous How to increase penis size said...

This is really very sad news so far.This should be understand by all.

February 12, 2012 1:41 PM  
Anonymous Top models clothing 2012 said...

I am glad that i ran into your blog today and hope that your future posts will be as great as this one right here.

February 17, 2012 7:28 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

vans outlet, soccer shoes, beats headphones, marc jacobs outlet, mont blanc pens, babyliss pro, north face jackets, canada goose outlet, reebok shoes, canada goose uk, wedding dresses, uggs outlet, instyler ionic styler, chi flat iron, mcm handbags, herve leger, moncler, longchamp, insanity workout, uggs on sale, bottega veneta, canada goose pas cher, ugg soldes, abercrombie and fitch, ghd, hollister, rolex watches, ferragamo shoes, canada goose outlet, soccer jerseys, north face outlet, ugg, roshe run, nfl jerseys, valentino shoes, moncler outlet, giuseppe zanotti, canada goose outlet, ugg boots, mac cosmetics, jimmy choo shoes, lululemon outlet, birkin bag, asics shoes, canada goose, p90x workout, celine handbags, ugg outlet, new balance outlet, moncler

October 24, 2014 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

About Us

View our complete profile