SHAKING blog

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Date at Your Own Risk

Yes, yes, yes, I know some people have had remarkably good luck with the whole online dating experience. And I'm sure that my own 72-hour foray into the dating-dot-com world might have been unusually horrific (unless you, too, got the response from some dashing casanova whose subject line read: "I love eating pussy!!!")But I must confess, I'm still amazed, amused and have nothing but respect for those who go out in search of cyber-love because it strikes me you're as likely to yield a winner as one of Willy Wonka's golden tickets (though I have little doubt you could probably yield something golden from someone's willy.)


See, having written and shaded my own profile, I'm *a bit* skeptical of the credentials others present when writing their own personal ads. Call me jaded, everyone else does. But I mean when I read any ad--like apartment listings for example--and I see the words "charming & sunny" I immediately go to the "tiny" "17th floor walk-up" place. So when I see a personal add advertising a "charming & sunny" penis, well, you get the point.

Needless to say, when I saw this story today, a story that finally justifies the bitter skeptic in me, the coal miner who operates my heart did a little "told ya so" jig. It turns out, Robert Wells of Walnut Creek, TX, was not just a semiretired physician who enjoys wine tasting, "The Sopranos" and reading science fiction, as he advertised himself on his profile. Nope. Robert was forced to give up his medical license because he's also a convicted sex offender! Hocking his cock on True.com (I shit you not), Wells was eventually kicked off that site and others (Hello, Eharmony! Hiya Match.com!), when a woman with whom he was corresponding eventually realized there was something "creepy" about the doctor.

So what does this woman do? Does she block his address from her email box? Does she immediately report him to the dating service? "I kept writing because I wanted to see if there was something wrong with him," she told the Kansas City Star. Well, I think she proved there was something wrong with at least one part of the equation.

But lest you think the cyber outlets aren't on to these predators, the sites specifically warn people to "to date at their own risk." And the CEO of True.com, Herb Vest, says this: "I make a promise to my members. If you are clever enough to get around our site securities, I'm going to prosecute." That's right, if you're clever enough to hit the "I'm not a sex offender" button when you really are one, well look out, big guy cause you might just get a spanking from a man named Vest.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's easy to check whether your blind date is a registered sex offender.

Each state is required to establish an online registry of convicted sex offenders and each sex offender is required to register with their state of residence.

Here's New York's sex offender registry:
http://criminaljustice.state.ny.us/nsor/

Just use google to find your state's registry. This won't catch everyone. People using aliases or perhaps those convicted before these registries were established might not show up.

Hope this is helpful.

December 02, 2005 10:31 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Wow, thanks... a whole new type of Google Search! And why am I so tempted to go searching for the names of all my old boyfriends now?

December 04, 2005 6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sex offenders - protect the kids.

July 08, 2006 11:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ninest123 16.01
louis vuitton, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany and co, louis vuitton, chanel handbags, replica watches, ugg boots, prada outlet, tiffany jewelry, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, prada handbags, burberry outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, replica watches, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, ugg boots, louis vuitton, polo ralph lauren outlet, uggs on sale, burberry, michael kors outlet, longchamp, ugg boots, gucci outlet, michael kors, nike outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin outlet, louboutin, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike air max, nike free, christian louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, louboutin shoes, tory burch outlet

January 03, 2016 8:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

bottes ugg, louis vuitton, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, replica watches, canada goose, doke gabbana outlet, moncler, sac louis vuitton pas cher, swarovski, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, marc jacobs, moncler outlet, canada goose, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, pandora jewelry, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, juicy couture outlet, moncler, louis vuitton, ugg pas cher, pandora charms, moncler, wedding dresses, pandora charms, supra shoes, moncler, coach outlet, canada goose outlet, moncler, barbour, canada goose, thomas sabo, canada goose outlet, toms shoes, doudoune canada goose, canada goose uk, links of london, canada goose, montre pas cher, hollister, juicy couture outlet, moncler, barbour jackets, karen millen, lancel, converse outlet, moncler, ugg boots uk
ninest123 16.01

January 03, 2016 8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

About Us

View our complete profile