SHAKING blog

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Wine and Women

Did you know women buy 77% and consume 60% of the wine in America? I had no idea. But I think it's high time the wineries came out and thanked Renee for her help.

The New York Times drew my attention to the "wine is for girls" phenomenon in its article today appropriately titled, "Luring Women With the Chick Lit of Wine." It seems wineries are finally stepping up to give us girls what we really want: prettier bottles to get sloppy with. One wine, called "White Lie Early Season Chardonnay," even comes printed with little white lies on its cork like, "I'll be home by 7," and "It's my natural color." If I were to suggest a few others, I might try using, "You are valued for your intellect," "What cellulite?" and "Your cats will not eat you when you die alone in your studio apartment."

The Times also notes that the backlash against Vaginal Vino has already begun. Apparently some women find this type of niche marketing demeaning. Me, personally? I couldn't care less, but still, I won't be consuming this kind of wine any time soon. Turns out the alcohol content on this crap is lower than regular wines, and if I'm going to remain a pleasantly cheap date--somewhat of a point of pride for this chick--I'm going to need all the help I can get.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A

November 29, 2005 2:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Comment

January 03, 2007 6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

About Us

View our complete profile