SHAKING blog

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Write Back Soon!

Here's my favorite line from the "To Professor@University.edu" story in the NYT today: "One of the rules that I teach my students is, the less powerful person always has to write back," Professor Worley said. Though the story initially caught my attention because my kids and me (and NB when I say 'my kids,' please note I use that in the "I didn't birth them, i only learn them" sense), we e-mail all the time. But it was Professor Worley's kicker that really got me thinking: The less powerful person always has to write back.


Is this really true??? If so, I think I'd be returning e-mails all day and all night long. I'd be saying "thank you for the thank you for the thank you for the you're welcome for the thank you." If this applied to brute strength, the powerhouse R&R girls' ink wells would run dry. If this applied to romantic relationships, I just might get myself brought up on stalking charges (i know what you're thinking... and shut up.)

So Professor Curly does not necessarily agree with her colleague Professor Worley. Then again, Professor Worley is probably a distinguished scholar of some sort and I... I think I need to go write her a little note right now.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So funny. I read that article this morning, then sent an email thanking my Rabbi for following up on something for me. Then he replied with "thanks"

I can't thank him for this thanks, but surely I'm the one with lower status here.

But then, maybe I'm not. Hmmmm.

February 21, 2006 12:27 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Here it is, darling: (can you see me? i'm giving you the Bronx cheer.)

Yours (and by "yours" i mean your turn to write back.)

-Robin

February 22, 2006 9:34 AM  
Anonymous Technology Inspiration said...

This was lovvely to read

December 28, 2023 4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

About Us

View our complete profile