SHAKING blog

Friday, July 15, 2005

Rejection Letters

Today we literally take a page from Amanda Stern, curator of the Happy Ending Reading Series, who, on her blog www.AmandaStern.com, has a link entitled "Rejection Letters." Stern asks readers to submit some of the favorite rejection letters they've gotten and send them to her. She writes:
In the course of trying to sell my book, I got rejected. Many times. This is normal. Healthy, some might suggest, and I was really, pretty okay with it all. In the course of trying to get published, get into residencies or even win awards I was not qualified to win, I got rejected. I hung on to all the letters and look at them from time to time. I invite you to send me your rejection letters to post. They can be from publishers, editors, other writers, lovers, friends, parents, anyone, but they have to be a rejection of some sort. They don't have to be mean or venomous (though that is a treat for me), but they do have to suggest or announce in some way that you are not invited.

As someone who routinely hangs onto all of her rejection letters as well, I think Amanda's idea is a great one, and I love that she hyperlinks to a few notes that people have shared with her.

The only thing is, I do feel a bit cheated that she doesn't include any of her own "not-you-not-now-not-ever" notes. Doesn't really seem fair, does it? So to rectify this situation, I'd like to share the Rejection Letter that I just received in an e-mail from Amanda when I asked if we could read at her Happy Ending series. And, after reading this, if any of you should feel so inspired to send us some of your "thanks for playing, loser" letters, we'd be happy to link to them here.

FROM: Amanda Stern
TO: ROBIN EPSTEIN
SUBJECT: RE: Happy Ending

Hi Robin,

Sorry for the delay, I lost my reader to Berlin and have had to start from scratch myself.

So, unfortunately, as great at SHAKING HER ASSETS is for women, it’s just not the right fit for Happy Ending. Thanks for submitting and good luck with it all and again, my sincere apologies for taking so long.

My policy is to only respond to those things I want, but I felt I owed you a response anyway.

Amanda

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I posted my This American Life rejection emails on my blog.

http://leahj.blog-city.com/

Leah

July 16, 2005 11:36 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

I've gotten a few of those too... But, there is some happy news! Keep banging the head against that wall and something will eventually break through -- I actually have a little story airing on next week's show, "A Little Bit of Knowledge: Stories about the dangers of knowing just a little bit too little."

July 16, 2005 6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin-
On what show will your story be airing? This American Life?

July 18, 2005 3:17 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Yep, I haven't actually heard the finished product yet, so I don't know how it comes off (I was actually interviewed instead of being the reporter), but knowing the quality of the show, I'm sure it'll be fine. Definitely interesting (and scary) to be on the other side of the microphone, though!

July 19, 2005 9:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ninest123 16.03
cheap oakley sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, ugg boots, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, longchamp, louboutin, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, burberry, ugg boots, louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, michael kors outlet, nike outlet, tiffany and co, prada handbags, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin shoes, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, christian louboutin outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet online, ugg boots, louis vuitton outlet, uggs on sale, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, replica watches, chanel handbags, gucci outlet, nike free, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, nike air max

March 19, 2016 2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

About Us

View our complete profile